Last Updated on October 6, 2021 by Rajeev Bagra
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you choose to click through and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. I was also compensated to create this post, though all opinions are my own.
The below mentioned 12 points can be taken as an idea generator for your startup as a freelancer/entrepreneur. It is expected that you are proficient in writing English or at least there is a predilection towards the same. The parallel track of being a software programmer is always a welcome that actually adds perhaps higher income potential. In between can be a mix of one who can come out with contents in the form of say articles and develop websites using CMS like WordPress.
1. Given the promising outlook of cloud computing, building expertise around cloud computing technologies by choosing one or more from the leading brands: Amazon Web Service (AWS), Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Digital Ocean, Alibaba Cloud. All of them have special packages for startups with liberal credits to learn, try new ideas. If AWS, follow the course roadmap prescribed as part of AWS certifications while joining as AWS Partner. As a Registered AWS Partner (free tier), you will learn about cloud technologies while nurturing your skills as a consultant/developer. We are a Registered Consulting Partner.
Point taken that DIPP recognition has its own criterion of being incorporated as a private limited company or registered as a partnership firm or a limited liability partnership. This might not be suitable for newbies or those who prefer to be freelancers in true spirit. Now, Any startup (not just registered with StartupIndia or DIPP recognized) can apply for the AWS Activate Founders program and subject to meeting their conditions be granted 1350$ AWS credit (1,000 USD in AWS credits, valid for two years, and $350 USD in AWS Developer Support credits valid for one year). One can apply for both, (possibility to avail $100,000 in AWS Activate credits).
2. Making the best of data and data science through applications like Splunk in addition to a host of AI and related tools from your chosen cloud hosting partner as discussed above.
3. As a publisher, working closely with advertisers/merchants on affiliate marketing marketplaces such as Commission Junction, ShareaSale, Impact Radius, Rakuten Linkshare, Partner Stack, Awin, Amazon Associates. Amazon Associates thought perhaps the first one to launch an affiliate program has a lower commission these days, yet its sheer size still makes it recommended to opt for. There are a number of companies that operate in-house affiliate programs. A Google Search is an easy way to spot the affiliate program for your choice of brand/company.
4. Contemplating partnerships with financial software entities like LivePlan for Strategic Advisors (makers of business plan software), Intuit (behind QuickBooks accounting software), and PayPal (international payment service provider).
5. Platforms like Linkedin Sales Navigator, SMergers for seeking financial deals. Flippa for a possible sale of existing domains/websites/apps as the same can release significant capital when in need of urgent working capital or newer investment needs. Flippa works well even for a starter website, unlike other players in the field like Empire Flippers, FE International that demand a minimum 500$ monthly income to consider listing on their platforms.
7. Staying enrolled with learning programs with a tilt towards software programming on platforms like Edx, Coursera, Udacity, and SitePoint. Edx and Coursera have the same content for a number of free and paid courses, the only difference being paid courses come with a certificate. SitePoint is convenient for those who are more comfortable with textbooks instead of videos.
8. Launch your own online courses on e-learning platforms like Thinkific that has both free and paid tier.
9. Coming out with at least 2 ebooks in the next 12 months wherein the source of the content will be already published blogs blended into a coherent book. You can choose the Amazon KDP program (free publishing).
11. Coming out with original, informative videos that can be displayed along with the existing contents on your website as well as monetized through programs like YouTube Partner Program.
12. Last but not least, making the most of images and social media sharing. Pinterest and Instagram dominate this niche and Tailwind can help automate the process with its offerings like Tailwind Create.